Things you should know about Batteries
AGM when concerning batteries stands for Absorbed Glass Mat. This best describes their construction. AGM batteries still have lead plates among them, however the distinction lies within the construction of the plates and also the method the electrolyte is exposed to the plates. Simply put, the electrolyte is absorbed into finely woven Boron-Silicate glass fibre mats. These saturated mats are then placed between the plates. to visualize some battery comparisons take a glance on my web site shown below within the resource box. thus what are some facts regarding AGM batteries when considering their use as camping batteries?
1. AGM batteries were originally developed for the military and thus are terribly sturdy and might take rather more abuse than wet-cell or customary deep-cycle gel batteries. because the electrolyte is contained among the glass mats, there’s nothing to leak or spill and that they are comparatively free from freezing harm.
2. like different sealed batteries there’s very little to no maintenance with AGMs. Even additional of a bonus is that almost all of them are ‘recombinant’. What this suggests is that the oxygen and hydrogen mix within the battery throughout charging cycles to create water – hence little or no water loss and hydrogen emission. These batteries are so less hazardous than their counterparts.
3. AGM batteries is stored in otherwise prohibited areas attributable to their blessings of no leakage and no fumes. Another advantage of this property is that they will be stored on finish or on their sides if want be while not harm.
4. The battery construction places the electrolyte in nearer proximity to the active plate material. This enhances the potency of each discharge and charge cycles. attributable to this, and since the interior resistance of the battery is incredibly low they typically charge at a faster rate and to the next capability than non-AGM batteries. they will additionally take serious discharge rates while not harm and might take the occasional discharge below the suggested five hundredth of capability rule.
5. AGMs have a really low discharge rate when stored for extended periods, and albeit left to totally discharge in storage they will be quickly recharged back to over ninety fifth of their capability providing they need not been left too long in a very discharged state. The advantage is, no flat battery once storing for extended periods (within reason of course).
6. below traditional operating conditions, a decent service lifetime of up to five years is attained. With quality care and handling, managed discharge and charge even longer lifetimes are common. Some reports quote up to ten years.
7. AGM batteries are quite a trifle dearer that typical wet-cell and customary deep cycle. however if you live this price against their robustness, longer life expectancy and higher performance, they still gift because the best worth for cash over the long term.
8. A ‘normal’ automotive alternator can solely charge a wet-cell sort battery to around 70-80% of its capability. attributable to its higher charging rates an AGM battery can concerning totally charge and at a faster rate from constant form of alternator.
9. AGM batteries are capable of charging rates up to seventy fifth of their rated ampere hour capability. In some cases this may result in broken alternators or customary auto chargers which will be prone to the excessive heat generated when attempting to deliver most amps. the nice purpose though is that AGMs can charge at lesser rates and be quite happy doing that. But, if you’re getting to pay cash on a high quality battery then you ought to very be watching shopping for a high quality three-stage charger.
10. AGM batteries will handle a large number of roles. they will be used as beginning batteries, in deep cycle applications, or as standby batteries for important powered systems. These reasons build them ideal for camping applications. they will even be connected in series or parallel banks providing for numerous terminal voltages and ampere capacities. i take advantage of 2 AGMs wired in parallel in my pop-up camper. they’re charged via a 3 stage ‘Smart’ charger and that i have not had a problem with them.
So there you go, in my opinion the simplest form of battery for your camping applications. Yes you may pay a trifle additional – however not thus usually. to seek out out additional regarding batteries and a proven twin battery system take a surf to my internet web site shown below currently.